The fall and winter months can be hard. With the cold weather coming and less daylight, it can be difficult to find the motivation to take care of all the things you have on your plate let alone take care of yourself. Keep in mind the practice that “you cannot drink from an empty cup”. This winter Woman to Woman Mentoring wants to remind you of how important it is to make self-care a priority, even when it seems time-consuming, hard, and selfish.
Taking care of yourself can look different for everyone, but we have created some top items to think about as we move into the colder season.
- Take some time to breathe: We are on the go so much that taking that moment to pause is almost necessary to keep yourself engaged. It doesn’t necessarily have to take long. Take 1 minute before you step out of your house, out of your car, or finally leave work to take a deep breath. Box or Triangle Breathing can help with focus. Health Breathing Exercises
- It’s okay to say “No”: At times it can seem hard to say no. People have expectations, you feel the need to help, or you may have a fear of missing out if you say no. Though it is not wrong to say yes to things, it is important to ensure that you have the capacity to handle what you are saying yes to. Your boundaries are important and saying no can sometimes allow you to pour more into yourself before you give yourself to others.
- Do something that brings you joy: Now this doesn’t have to be an expensive trip or a time-consuming activity. Maybe it is taking yourself out for a nice dinner, getting out and taking a little walk and taking in the brisk air, or taking yourself to the movies. It also could be as simple as sitting in your house and catching up on a show. Remembering the little things that bring you joy can help when life becomes a little overwhelming.
- Schedule time for yourself: Yes, days get busy, especially around holiday times. Sometimes just saying it isn’t enough. Blocking out time in your day and scheduling out some “me” time can help make that time a priority. We block out time for such important things that we forget that we are an important event as well and should be treated as such.
- Connect with others: Connect with others: During the winter months, when you can feel isolated, it is a great time to connect with the important people in your life. Grab a coffee with a friend, get the kids together, or reach out to connect with a mentor! Connecting with other people, especially in these months, is always a benefit to pour into you this holiday season.
We treat everything else so special and forget that we are special as well. Remember, W2WM is always here if you need a resource, connection, or just a sounding board as you go through any life transition.
Check out our website to learn more about our programs and resources and how you can get connected to Woman to Woman Mentoring >> www.womantowomanmentoring.org